Hyderabadi Biryani Recipe:
There are 2 styles of preparing this variety. The Kachchi Biryani is prepared with the Kachchi Yakhni method. The raw meat is marinated in curd and cooked only by the dum.
This is a challenging process as it requires a measured time and heat to avoid overcooking or undercooking the meat.
In Pakki Biryani, where the meat is cooked with all the accompanying spices and then the rice is simmered with the resultant gravy aromas of mace, ittar and kewra in a sealed vessel with saffron and cardamom.
As a result you are getting juicy and succulent pieces of meat that melts in your mouth and each rice grain is well separated and cooked nicely.
Hyderabadi Biryani recipe (dum biryani):
First soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes. Thinly sliced a large onion. Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a wide bottom pan. Add the onions, spread it out thinly. Add a pinch of salt to speed up the process.
Stir in between and cook it in low flame. It will take around 15 -20 minute to get a nice caramelized color. Once done keep aside. While the onions are getting caramelized, prepare the mutton.
Meat marination ingredients:
- Mutton: 500 gm
- Yogurt: 50 gm
- Green chillies : 3-4 chopped
- Ginger garlic paste : 1/2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin powder : 1/2 tbsp
- Biryani masala : 1 tsp
- Onion : 2 medium onion fried
- Coriander :1/2 cup chopped
- Pudina/ mint : 3/4 cup
- Lemon: juice of 1 lemon
- Raw papaya juice: 2-3 tbsp
- Ghee : 2 tbsp
Rice preparation ingredients:
- Basmati rice : 250 gm
- Cloves: 2
- Cardamoms: 2
- Black cardamom: 1
- Cinnamon stick: 1”
- Bay leaf: 1
- Black pepper corns:4
- Nutmeg and mace
- Oil: 1tbsp
- Shahi jeera: 1 tsp
- water as required
Some other ingredients:
- Brown onion in a large amount
- saffron milk
- Ghee/ clarified butter
In a large bowl, add all the marinating ingredients. Put yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, Red chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Garam Masala powder, Saffron, Lemon, Fried Onions, Green Chillies, Coriander (finely Chopped), Mint ( finely chopped),Salt to taste, oil/ ghee and mix well.
Now cover and keep it in the refrigerator for atleast 2-3 hours.
- In a large pan, bring water to boil.
- Put in two cloves, two cardamoms, one inch cinnamon stick, two bay leaves,, four black pepper corns, oil, 1 tsp shahi jeera and add the soaked basmati rice in the boiling water.
- Cook till half done, switch off the gas. Do not cover it.
- Drain the rice after 3-4 minute and save the drained water
- Meanwhile soak the saffron in warm milk.
Assemble the biryani:
- Our rice is cooked, meat marination is done. Now it’s time for assembling.
- Put the mutton on the base of a pan in which you are going to make the biryani. Add 2 cups of drained water (reserved starch water from cooked rice) because the meat needs some moisture to cook which it gets from this water and thus overall biryani remains nice and moist.
- Put the half of rice on the top of the mutton. Spread fried onion, saffron milk, ghee and garam masala powder on the rice.
- Now add rest of the rice on it and spread rest of the fried onion, saffron milk ,coriander leaves, meant leaves and ghee.
- Now you can either seal the edges with roti dough or use a piece of foil paper and seal the top. Now cook it for 5 mins on high flame, then 15 minutes on medium flame and 30 mins on simmer.
- Serve warm. Garnish with remaining caramelized onions. The above recipe can be replaced by chicken and made a chicken biryani instead of mutton
I hope you like this recipe. Leave a note if you would like to see any other recipe added to the list. too.